17 April 2012

Review: A Temptation of Angels - Michelle Zink

Release Date: March 20th, 2012
Hardcover: 435 pages
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers

Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

(Summary taken from Goodreads

I know, I know, another angel-themed novel but I'm just a sucker for these, please don't hold it against me! But really who could resist the beautiful cover and the already enthralling synopsis? Even though I've read many negative reviews to this novel, I can't say I agree with most of them. A Temptation of Angels delivered what was expected of it, a most-pleasant read.


The story starts off rather fast, already full of action, mystery and drama. Meaning the novel kept me hooked from page one. Helen, a completely ordinary girl who is home-schooled by her parents, has to unexpectedly escape her home and leave her family behind. The only things she could take with her were: her necklace, which her mother said to never take it off, and a piece of paper with an unknown name and address written on it which leads her to two peculiar brothers, Griffin and Darius. What Helen doesn't know is that she is no ordinary girl and that her life is about to change forever.

Have you ever read I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore? Well, the plot reminded me a bit of it but instead of  nine aliens being hunted and murdered, in this novel there are twenty and they are angels. I loved the uniqueness in the story involving its angel lore, for example this part of the plot: the Dictata, who chose twenty angels to look after planet Earth and one of these angels has the key to the desired records, which show Earth's past, present and future enabling the holder of the key to change the course of history. But I guess I would have loved to know more about the Dictata and the Syndicate (the enemy) since they were more in the background of the story.


I loved how Zink's characters were all one of a kind. Helen was a determined and strong girl but somehow I didn't like her that much. Griffin, by far my favorite, was sweet and charming, wasn't in any way the perfect prince charming. The author had a way of showing each character's weaknesses and strengths, making her characters the more realistic and as a result more likable. Darius and Anna could have been more present and I hoped that we would get to know more about them but I wasn't bothered that much when that didn't happen. Raum was another character that was so conflicted and complicated but still relatable and lovable, that even now I can't decide if I liked him or disliked him.


Overall A Temptation of Angels was a great read that delivered everything I was expecting of it: mysteries, action, drama and a sweet romance. Even though the novel slowed its pace towards the end of the story, the book still captivated me and I recommend to anyone who likes novels with great characters and a lore-related plot.




Michelle Zink lives in New York with her four children. Prophecy of the Sisters was her first novel, and was chosen as one of Booklist’s Top Ten Debut Novels of 2009 and as one of the Chicago Public Library’s Best Books for Young Readers. It has also been listed on the New York Public Library’s Stuff for the Teen Age and the Lone Star Reading List.     Twitter / Website

5 comments:

  1. I think this sounds like something I would LOVE! Not only am I a sucker for angel books just like you, but I also loved I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. Thanks for your fantastic review. This book will definitely be added to be TBR list now!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DarleneThank you for the kind comment :D
    I'm sure you will love this book! I Am Number Four + Angels certainly is a killer combination! But the novel has a slower pace I hope it doesn't bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you mentioned I Am Number Four by Pittcaus Lore, I was like YES! This book is totally going on my TBR now! I've seen it around, and read a few reviews, but I thought it was just another angel book. But it actually sounds good, if it has a plot like I Am Number Four's. =) Great review, Rachel!

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aneeqah The plot only reminded me a bit of I Am Number Four because of the idea of people hunting and killing children in order to do something.. But the novel has a slower pace than I Am Number Four, so if it won't bother you :D haha it's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover for this one originally caught my eye awhile ago and I've been wanting to read it. I will definitely have to go pick it up now. Thanks so much for the review!
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis