22 May 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

Release Date: January 2nd, 2012
Hardcover: 236 pages
Publisher: Poppy/Little Brown

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan’s life. She’s stuck at JFK, late to her father’s second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley’s never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport’s cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he’s British, and he’s in seat 18C. Hadley’s in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver’s story will make you believe that true love finds you when you’re least expecting it.


The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight may be one of the sweetest novels I have ever read. Even though I am kind of jealous, since I've never met a gorgeous guy at the airport and I'm so often there! But oh, well, not everyone is that lucky. One thing is for certain, though, Smith's novel is a light and sweet read that will leave readers surely jealous!

The plot was just so cute! I wasn't expecting anything less with such a title. But of course it doesn't only focus on love at first sight but also we get more insight in the lives of the characters and this was a nice surprise. Hadley has to go to England, where her father's second marriage will take place. Of course, she is not one bit thrilled to be going there; for since her parents divorced, her relationship with her father only got worse and worse. But at the airport and later on the plane, she gets to know Oliver and realizes that sometimes something good can come out of a seemingly bad situation. 

What doesn't come as a surprise in a contemporary novel, all characters were really realistic and could portrait anyone of us. I really liked that Smith didn't only focus on the romance but also we get to see different sides to the characters. Hadley was a great main character and she is completely ordinary. Oliver was, well, swoon-worthy but in a believeable way.

I had lots of fun reading The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. It's a great read to pass the time, since it is really light read. I'm not normally into contemporary novels but this one certainly got my attention. Surely there were some things that were a bit exaggerated but without these moments, the book wouldn't go further and be so good. Believe me, I don't like contemporary novels but I really did enjoy this one, so I'm certain this one will please most readers.




Jennifer E. Smith is the author of the three young adult novels: The Comeback Season, You Are Here, and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and currently works as an editor in New York City.    Twitter






3 comments:

  1. I have been looking to get this book...you definitely steered me in a positive direction...AWESOME REVIEW

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been so many raving reviews about this book. This one will be my first summer read in the vacation :D Thanks for the great review!

    I love the fact that the characters are so realistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is one of my favorites! While you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, I'm still happy that you liked it! <3

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis